Saturday, December 15, 2018

Aren't you so nice?

I took my children to buy my soon to be ex-husband Christmas presents today. I'm sure many will disagree that this was even necessary, given the fact that last year, while we were still together he put no thought into a gift for me and brought home dollar store pajamas, but I did it anyway. Two of my close friends, their husbands, and my mother all said "well, aren't you nice to do that." Realistically, I wanted to wrap up a box of condoms and the address to planned Parenthood to give just from me, so I'm not as nice as they think. Is it really an act of kindness to force myself to help my children get a gift for their father that they love? Yes. But not for him, for them. I picture them proudly smiling while they hand over the dishevelled wrap job on their three little gifts and hearing him say "thank you". I'm sure he'll say it's me trying to "win him back" but I'm just trying to keep these little people happy. They love to give, and I don't want them to feel uncomfortable if they don't have anything for Daddy to open during their 2nd Christmas. So I swallow my pride and use all my Kohl's cash and patience to do what matters most, make my kids happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment